Time to start shopping!
Last Updated: June 29, 2023
- Collection of Information
- Use of Information
- Disclosure of Information
- Social Sharing Features and Third-Party Privacy Policies
- Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
- Data Retention and Security
- Transfer of Information
- Your Choices
- Your Privacy Rights
- California Residents
- Notice of Financial Incentives
- Nevada Residents
- Contact Us
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you create an account, fill out a form, participate in a survey, review, contest, or promotion, make a purchase, apply for a job, upload your resume, communicate with us via third party social media sites, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, email address, postal address, phone number, credit card and other payment information, age, location, your pet’s information (name, breed, date of birth, gender, etc.) and any other information you choose to provide.
Other Information We Collect
When you access or use our Services or transact business with us, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Transactional Information: When you make a purchase or return, we collect information about the transaction, such as product details, purchase price, and date and location of the transaction.
- Log Information: We collect information related to your access to and use of the Services, including the type of browser you use, app version, access times, pages viewed, your IP address, site interaction data, and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Session Replay Information: We use session replay software to collect information on how customers navigate our website and to improve its functionality.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
- Visual Information: We utilize cameras in our stores for security purposes and to measure and observe customer traffic patterns to improve our stores and services. We do not collect any biometric information.
- Location Information: We may derive the approximate location of your device from your IP address. In accordance with your device permissions, we may also collect information about the precise location of your device. You have the ability to stop the collection of location information at any time (see Your Choices below for details).
- Information Collected by Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies: We (and our service providers) use different technologies to collect information, including cookies and web beacons and other tracking mechanisms. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in your device memory that help us improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular, and count visits. Web beacons (also known as "pixel tags" or "clear GIFs") are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, and help us understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, see Your Choices below.
Information Collected from Other Sources
We may also obtain information about you from other sources. For example, we may collect information about you from third parties, such as mailing list providers and data enhancement sources. The information we collect from those sources may include demographic information such as your gender and, in some cases, race/ethnicity. We also collect information from publicly available sources, including information you submit in a public forum (e.g., a blog, chat room, or social media). If you apply for a job with us, we will receive your application information from our job applicant processing partners. Additionally, if you create or log into your account through a social media site or app, we may have access to certain information from that site, such as your name, account information, and friend lists, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such social media site or app.
Use of Information
We use the information we collect to deliver the products and services you request and customize your experience with us. We also use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our products and services;
- Conduct audits related to a current interaction with the customer and concurrent transactions, including, but not limited to, counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance with this specification and other standards;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and protect the rights and property of PetSmart and others;
- Debug to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- For limited, internal and operational use, such as to enable our website to function;
- Perform services on behalf of us or a service provider, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing financing, providing advertising or marketing services, or conducting analytic services;
- Undertake internal research for technological development and demonstration;
- Undertake activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device that we own, manufacture, or control, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by, us;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages and to respond to your comments, questions, and customer service requests;
- Communicate with you about products, services, and events offered by PetSmart and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you (see Your Choices below for information about how to opt out of these communications at any time);
- Personalize your online experience and the advertisements you see when you use the Services or third-party platforms based on your preferences, interests, and browsing and purchasing behavior;
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes, and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards;
- Create de-identified, anonymized, or aggregated information that we process only in a de-identified fashion and will not attempt to re-identify except as permitted by law;
- Evaluate your application and qualifications for employment with us; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
Disclosure of Information
We may disclose your personal information as follows:
- To vendors, service providers, and consultants that perform services for us, including e-mail and mobile marketing, analytics, web hosting, call center services, payment processing, coupon delivery, and data enhancement;
- To entities who may provide financing for your purchase;
- To the public, if you post information online and elect to make it available to the public, such as by writing a product review on our website;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
- To detect fraud, or if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, if we believe you have violated the law, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of PetSmart or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company;
- Between and among PetSmart and our current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other companies under common control and ownership; and
- With your consent or at your direction.
We may also disclose aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Social Sharing Features and Third-Party Privacy Policies
The Services may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools, which let you share actions you take on our Services with other media. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. Your interactions with those features are governed by the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit their privacy policies.
Please note that when you apply for a job with us, the privacy policies of our job applicant processing partners may govern the submission of your application information.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
Data Retention and Security
Criteria we use to determine these retention periods include:
- How can we minimize the retention period?
- Do we need to keep personal information to ensure the experience that customers expect?
- Are customers able to update or delete the personal information themselves?
- Is PetSmart subject to a legal or contractual obligation to keep or delete the personal information?
We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your personal information. However, no e-commerce solution or website is completely secure. You are also responsible for taking reasonable steps to protect your personal information, such as using strong passwords and using different passwords across your online accounts. We will never request your password or credit card information through email.
Children's Personal Information
We recognize the particular importance of protecting the privacy of children. We do not knowingly collect, sell, or share personal information from children under the age of 16.
Transfer of Information
PetSmart is based in the United States. We process and store information in the U.S. and other countries. Therefore, we and our service providers may transfer your information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction.
As always, you can see and update certain account information at any time by logging into your account or calling our Customer Care number at 1-888-839-9638.
When you first launch any of our mobile applications that collect location information, you will be asked to consent to the application’s collection of this information. If you initially consent to our collection of this location information, you can subsequently stop the collection of this information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. If you do so, our mobile applications, or certain features thereof, may no longer function properly. You may also stop our collection of this location information by following the standard uninstall process to remove all our mobile applications from your device. Certain mobile devices contain geo-location tracking capability. We may use such capability or other geo-location tracking technology to identify the location of devices in our store or nearby for marketing, to generate coupons or other offers, and for analytical purposes.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default, but provide settings to accept all cookies, notify you when a cookie is issued, or not receive cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from PetSmart by following the instructions in those emails or by logging into your account and changing your preferences. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
By participating in any of our mobile programs, you agree to receive recurring automated marketing phone calls and text messages at the phone number you provided at opt-in. Phone calls made and text messages sent to your mobile device may be generated using an automated system for the selection or dialing of telephone numbers. Message frequency will vary. Your consent to receive marketing messages via phone or text is not a condition of any purchase. You agree to notify PetSmart at the Contact Us information below if you change or disconnect your mobile phone number. Message and data rates may apply and are billed by and payable to your mobile service provider. Delivery of messages are subject to the effective transmission by your mobile service provider and any policies or terms established by your mobile service provider. For SMS messages, text HELP for help and STOP to opt out. Additionally, you may cancel general promotional messages from PetSmart by texting STOP to 704704 and you may cancel transactional messages from PetSmart by texting STOP to 26392.
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Your Privacy Rights
Depending on where you reside, you may have the following rights as provided by law:
Access and Portability. You may have the right to request access to the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you. We will provide this personal information to you in a portable format.
Correction. You may have the right to request that we correct inaccurate personal information that we maintain about you.
Deletion. You may have the right to request deletion of your personal information we have collected about you (subject to certain exceptions). Caution, if you choose to have your personal information deleted, we will no longer be able to save your preferences for grooming, PetsHotel, Doggie Day Camp, or dog training, or provide you with certain services, such as autoship enrollment or Treats membership. Deleting your personal information will also delete any existing Treats points you have accumulated. After honoring your deletion request, we may retain personal information that is necessary for us to fulfill our legal obligations or that is not otherwise subject to deletion under applicable law.
Appeal. You may have the right to appeal a denial of your request to access, correct, or delete your personal information.
Opt Out of Sales, Shares, and Targeted Advertising. You may have the right to opt out of the “sale” or “sharing” of your personal information, as well as the use of your information for “targeted advertising,” as those terms are defined under privacy laws.
Nondiscrimination. You have the right to receive equal service and price and not be discriminated against for exercising your privacy rights, however, financial incentive programs may condition participation on collection of personal information.
Exercising Your Rights. You may make a rights request by calling 1-888-839-9638 or visiting the following pages:
- Opt Out of Sale/Sharing/Targeted Advertising
- Opt Out of Use of Sensitive data
To confirm your identity and ensure we respect your privacy and security, we will prompt you to verify your request by logging into your account (if applicable), replying to an email, or calling us. Please follow the instructions provided when you submit your rights request.
Categories of Personal Information Collected: In the preceding 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information: identifiers, racial or ethnic origin, precise geolocation, commercial information, characteristics of protected classifications under California or U.S. law, internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation data, sensitive personal information, and inferences drawn about any of the preceding categories of information. We also collect the following categories of personal information from job applicants: professional or employment related information and education information. For examples of the information we collect, please see "Collection of Information" above.
Business or Commercial Purpose for Collecting and Selling Information: We collect personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in "Use of Information" above.
Categories of Sources of Personal Information: We collect personal information directly from you when you access or use our Services, shop in our stores, contact us through customer service or other mechanisms, purchase products or services from us, and from third-party sources as described in "Information Collected from Other Sources" above.
Categories of Personal Information We Disclose: In the preceding 12 months, depending on your interactions with us, we may have disclosed the following categories of personal information for business or commercial purposes: identifiers, commercial information, financial information, characteristics of protected classifications under California or U.S. law, internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation data, sensitive personal information, and inferences drawn about any of the preceding categories of information.
Categories of Third Parties to Whom We Disclose Personal Information: We may share your personal information with third parties as described in the "Sharing of Information" section above.
Retention: we retain personal information as described in the Data Retention section above.
Sale or Share of Personal Information:
Under California law, sharing personal information with partners in exchange for some benefit, such as providing more relevant ads, is considered a "sale" or "share." In the preceding 12 months, depending on your interactions with us, we may have "sold" or "shared" the following categories of personal information: identifiers and internet or other electronic network activity information. PetSmart is a pet specialty retailer in the business of offering pet related goods and services to pet parents. As such, PetSmart’s business model does not include selling your personal information such as your name, email address, phone number, or postal address to third parties in exchange for money. However, we do share identifiers such as name, email address, phone number, or postal address with our subsidiaries to offer you our pet-related goods, and we share other identifiers such as cookies and the advertising identifier associated with your mobile device with our advertising partners to show our ads that are targeted to your interests. You can opt out of these disclosures by clicking here or by using a legally recognized opt-out preference signal, such as the Global Privacy Control (GPC). Please note that our processing of the signal may be limited to the specific browser or device that you are using. You may need to renew your opt-out if you use a different browser or device to access our websites. We do not knowingly “sell” or “share” information relating to individuals younger than 16.
Sensitive Personal Information
To help deliver the most relevant ads, PetSmart may collect additional information about you, including related to your race and ethnicity, from our data partners. Additionally, if you consent through your device permissions, we may also collect information about the precise location of your device. California residents have the right to opt out of our use of this information by clicking here.
California Privacy Rights
Please see the Your Privacy Rights section above to learn more about the rights available to you as a California resident, how to exercise your rights, and how we will verify your requests. California residents also have the right to learn more about the information we have collected and disclosed. You may designate, through a power of attorney or in writing, an authorized agent to access and control your personal information. Authorized agents may contact us through one of the methods listed below to request to access and control your personal information. Before accepting such a request from an agent, we will need you to verify your identity directly with us, and we require the agent to provide proof you have authorized it to act on your behalf via a valid power of attorney or other documentation demonstrating the agent’s authority to access and control your personal information. This can be a letter or other documentation signed by you authorizing the agent to access and control your personal information.
Customer Data Request Metrics: We share information annually on how many customer data requests we receive. The following chart contains statistics about global requests we received from customers between January 1, 2022, and December 31, 2022:
Customer Data Request Metrics:
|Request Type||Received||Completed||Unable to Complete*||Median Days to Respond|
*This reflects the number of requests we were unable to complete due to the following reasons:
- The requestor did not complete the necessary steps to verify their identity.
- We had no record of the requestor.
- An agent did not provide sufficient documentation to allow us to determine that it was authorized to make the request.
- There was a valid exemption under the law.
Notice of Financial Incentives:
We offer various financial incentives. For example, we may provide discounts, rewards, exclusive offers, or other benefits to customers who sign up to join our Treats loyalty program or to participate in a promotional campaign. When you participate in a financial incentive, we collect personal information from you, such as identifiers (like your name, email address, or phone number) and commercial information (like your purchase preferences and interests or purchase history). You can opt into a financial incentive by following the sign-up or participation instructions provided, and, for any ongoing benefits, you have the ability to opt-out at any time, such as by following the instructions set forth in the applicable promotional campaign or program, or contacting us through one of the methods below. In some cases, we may provide additional terms and conditions for a financial incentive, which we will provide to you when you sign up. The value of your personal information is reasonably related to the value of the offer or discount presented to you.
Shine the Light
California law permits California residents to request certain details about how their information is shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please use the Contact Us information below.
Nevada residents have the right to request that a company not sell their personal information for money. PetSmart does not sell your personal information for money. If you have any questions about how we process your personal information, please use the Contact Us information below
Attn: Legal Department – Data Privacy
19601 N. 27th Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85027